The purpose of the annotated bibliography is to assist in developing research analysis skills including critical thinking, writing, and literature research skills. The annotated bibliography should include a paragraph for each source containing the following information:
• Name of the article, including the complete bibliographic citation, using APA format.
• Summary/abstract of the article – annotation (sometimes it is helpful to ask yourself the following questions in synthesizing the information:
◦ Who? (author)
◦ What was done? (e.g., an experimental study investigating the interaction of short term memory and attention)
◦ How? (was it done)
• What were the findings? (identify the major ones)
• Contributions? (new findings, applications, etc.)
• Research in peer-reviewed journals or other journals that are considered to have reliable information (do not use sources from the secular press (e.g., Time, Newsweek, or Wikipedia). Review the guidelines for acceptable sources by reading the “Academic Research” section within the Student Responsibilities and Policies tab under Course Home on the left navigation toolbar in your online course.
Identify at least ten academic sources; the descriptions for each source must be at least one paragraph in length. If you do find something on the World Wide Web, it must be authored and be a reliable source.
• In these journals, the research and information is either reviewed by an editorial team or a group of peers.
Review the complete instructions for the Final Paper in Week Five. To conduct accurate research for the annotated bibliography, consider the following:
Instructions for the Final Paper in Week Five
You are an ethnographic researcher writing an article for a popular organizational behavior research journal. Your purpose is to identify key problems related to business ethics in a Not-for-Profit and For- Profit organization. In this potential article please complete the following activities:
• Outline the company profile of the not for profit company you chose to analyze (consult the week #2 journal for the information you should include). Explain the ethical dilemma that it faced or is currently facing. Analyze the way that it responded to this ethical dilemma and outline the legal, social, or political outcomes that emerged after the actions were taken..
• Outline the company profile of the for profit company you chose to analyze (consult the week #2 journal for the information you should include). Explain the ethical dilemma that it faced or is currently facing. Analyze the way that it responded to this ethical dilemma and outline the legal, social, or political outcomes that emerged after the actions were taken.
• In part three of your paper, please provide your personal reflections on the ethical actions that were taken in relation to the problem. Evaluate those actions from your own ethical standpoint. Use these questions to inspire your analysis: Did the company respond in a morally responsible way? Did the company respond in a morally irresponsible way? Did the company create the ethical dilemma or was the dilemma the outcome of an unforeseen force? Could the company have done more? Who was responsible for the problem and how could it have been prevented?
◦ Remember that when you analyze something you should present logical reasoning and factual evidence to support your position. Do not merely answer these questions using simplistic yes and no answers. Instead, you should always support your position with logical argumentation and evidence that explains why you believe what you believe.
• In part 4 of your paper please create a critique of the actions of these companies based on two of the philosophical theories that you studied earlier in the course (deontology, utilitarianism, egoism, virtue ethics, moral relativism). Determine which moral theory the company appears to be abiding by in relation to this issue. Explain the attributes of the decision that make you believe that this is the ethical perspective of the company. If you agree with the ethical theory of the company, explain why this is the best ethical position on the issue. If you do not, explain which ethical position would be better to utilize in this situation and why you believe that this position is better. Here are some sample questions to guide your thinking:
◦ Which ethical theory did the company use in making its decision? Was it the best? Why or why not?
◦ Which ethical theory should the company have used? Why?
◦ What is the ideal relationship between bad or suffering and profit?
◦ What does it mean to run an ethical business?
◦ What is the best way for a company to maintain its competitive edge and contribute to overall good or happiness in relation to its workers and customers?