Assignment 2: Case Study 9.5: Swedish Daddies
Due Week 8 and worth 275 points
Read Case 9.5: Swedish Daddies, located here or on page 351 of your textbook.
Write a four to six (4-6) page paper in which you answer the following questions:
- Describe the balance that you currently seek between career and family life. Do you believe that the mindset of corporate America is conducive to the type of work and family arrangement that would suit you? Explain the major reasons why or why not.
- Explain whether or not you believe the United States should require companies to provide paid maternity leave. Suppose the U.S. did make maternity leave a requirement. Discuss whether or not you believe the U.S. government should assist companies to do so. Describe your stance on the U.S. requiring companies to offer paternity leave. Provide a rationale for your position.
- Should specialized organizational arrangements be made for workers who wish to combine career and child raising? Explain why or why not. Suppose specialized organizational arrangements must be made for such workers. Identify steps that companies can take to accommodate parental needs more effectively.
- Does a firm have an obligation to give employees the flexibility to work out the particular balance of career and family that is right for them? Or does this go beyond the social responsibilities of business? Justify your response.
- Cite your textbook as a reference.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze the concepts of public safety and government regulation along with the role of business responsibility.
- Recommend ways in which businesses can be partners with nature by applying the concepts of business ethics, business ecology, and environmental ethics.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in business ethics.
- Write clearly and concisely about business ethics using proper writing mechanics.