Your assignment is to write a case conceptualization, a description of the case and an interpretation of the issues and problems involved. The studies and discussions in Units 4 and 5 were designed to provide the rich data and information upon which you will draw to arrive at your understanding of this client and his situation. You will need to articulate the technology and tools necessary to gather sufficient information on the needs of your selected client.
You began gathering information about your case client in Unit 4, using information in the course files and the media piece Interactive Case File. Now pull this information together, analyze what you have, and write a case conceptualization, following this format:
- Background: Provide a clear and concise background of the case, showing a holistic view of the client. What information do you have about the client? What additional information would you need to gather? Which tools and technology can help you in making competent decisions about this case?
- Problem Identification: Provide an analysis of the main issues in the case. Clearly connect how issues and needs presented by the client are affecting his emotions and behaviors.
- Case Summary: Present a concise conceptualization of what the needs are and a rationale as to why they should be the focus of your recommendations. Keep in mind that this section is what you will present to the collaborative team, so you want to make sure that you are presenting a clear snapshot of the person and the areas that need to be identified. Use technology and tools effectively. If more than one need or issue is present, make sure to rank these needs and support why one needs to be addressed over another. The goal is not to make recommendations, but rather to provide a solid starting point for the collaborative team to begin thinking about recommendations.
- Case 1: Joseph, an 8-year-old first grader recently placed in foster care after an emergency removal from his home.
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to the current APA style and formatting.
- Length of paper: 5–8 typed, double-spaced pages.
- Font and font size: Arial, 10 point.