Theresa and Mike understand that building the culture they envision requires effective communication, collaboration, and participative problem solving. They envision creating an organization such that Joe and other employees will know exactly what to do when faced with choices that involve ethics. As the first step in embedding clear ethical processes in the organization, they realize they need to devise a code of conduct. Both companies have operated with an unwritten code that was never formalized. The consultant is asked to help them understand the purpose and content of an excellent code of conduct and how they should go about developing it.
Answer the following questions:
- What is the purpose of a code of conduct?
- Why is it important for a company to have a written code of conduct?
- What issues should be considered to be included in a code of conduct, especially given the merger scenario?
- Evaluate the code of conduct for your current or past employer (if the information is not available, evaluate a code of conduct identified in an Internet search).
Using the 2 attached articles
Theresa and Mike fully support creating a code of conduct for the merged organization. They have asked the consultant to recommend how they should approach the code of conduct development, especially given the need to coalesce the merged companies into one team with a shared mission and values.
Prepare your response to their request. Address the following and any additional topics you believe are important:
- What process should be used to identify the relevant elements to include in the code of conduct? Apply concepts from the course readings to support your recommendation.
- Who should be involved, and why?
- What is the role of leadership in developing the code of conduct?
- Consider leadership styles, communication, decision-making approach, and collaboration, along with any other issues you deem relevant.
- What ongoing processes and leadership actions are important to ensure long-term awareness of and compliance with the code of conduct?
- Identify an area about which you would like additional information to fully respond to the request for the recommended approach to develop a code of conduct. Research peer-reviewed journals in the library to learn more about that area. Apply concepts from at least 1 article that you researched to the development of your recommendation.