What to submit: hard-copy only
Directions: Answer the following questions as thoroughly and thoughtfully as possible. This assignment should be typed and a hard-copy will be submitted in-class. Please number each question as you answer it.J
- Describe yourself (as far as how you see yourself) in terms of ‘‘standpoint,’’ reflecting upon the elements of the theory (gender, class, race . . .). Add such things as economics, family values, geographic background, among other things you would use to describe yourself.
- Now describe how you think your culture may define you (looking at the same elements). Think of this in terms of how you may perhaps see others based upon cultural or gendered background and ask yourself how they would define you.
- Is there a difference in your two responses? Explain why or why not.
- In digging further into your standpoint in life, in what ways do you see yourself advantaged/privileged in society? How has this impacted your life?
- In what ways do you see (or potentially see) yourself as disadvantaged/non- privileged in society? How has this impacted your life?
- How does your standpoint shape the way you feel, value, and perceive things in life? How does this impact your choice-making in society?
- How is your communication shaped by your standpoint?
- If you could tell society something in order to understand your standpoint more clearly (based upon your personal experiences), what would it be?
- Given your responses to the first question about your own standpoint, identify as many stereotypes (whether good or bad) as possible that are associated with each of your identity categories.