Discussion 3: W.A.T.C.H. Toy Analysis
Every year, a nonprofit company out of Boston, Massachusetts, known as World Against Toys Causing Harm (W.A.T.C.H.), Inc. puts out a list of the most hazardous toys. Many people use these lists to ensure that they do not purchase toys for children that could cause harm.
For this discussion, assume you work for W.A.T.C.H., and you have decided that the toy described below is a hazardous toy.
Name of toy: Superduper Squirter and Shooter
Description: This gun looks like the real thing and allows children to learn how to defend themselves at a young age. The gun not only shoots water at a high velocity to scare off your enemies but also can be converted to a spring-powered paintball and chalk dart shooter for tons of fun.
Package Labels and Instructions:
- Appropriate for ages six and older
- Safety glasses are provided and should be worn at all times
- Safety glasses may not prevent eye injury
- Do not aim squirter/shooter directly at others
- For outside use
- For your initial response, prepare an explanation of why you have placed this toy on the hazardous toy list
- In addition to describing hazards, you should incorporate course material and terminology related to product liability, such as manufacturing defects, design defects, flawed warnings or lack thereof, or breach of warranties
- You might want to view a recent W.A.TC.H. report to see what the organization finds to be hazardous about some toys
- Remember, the goal is to prevent harm, usually to children
- Here is a link to the W.A.T.C.H. list – http://www.toysafety.org/
- Post replies to at least two other students that are a minimum of one paragraph
- In your replies to other students, critique their reasons for placing the toy on the W.A.T.C.H. list and also suggest a legal defense based on course material that you might use on behalf of the company producing the toy should it be sued when a child is injured by the toy
- Doing more than the minimum will enhance your grade
- All posts are to be substantial, incorporate course concepts and terminology, and relate to the discussion issue
- You might also want to conduct some independent research to enhance your posts