To prepare for this assignment:
- Review the article, “People With Learning Disabilities’ Experiences of Being Interviewed by the Police.” Think about the importance of psychological skills for police professionals.
- Review the article, “Police Criminal Charging Decisions: An Examination of Post-Arrest Decision-Making.” Consider the impact of forensic psychology professionals on the effectiveness of police professionals. Think about the important psychological skills that forensic psychology professionals can teach police professionals.
- Review the “Executive Summary” section of the bulletin, “Police Officers’ Decision Making and Discretion: Forming Suspicion and Making a Stop.” Focus on the information related to police officers and decision making. Consider the impact that training in psychological skills has on the effectiveness of police professionals.
- Review the bulletin, “Making Ethical Decisions: A Practical Model.” Consider ethical decision making and police professionals, and think about how forensic psychology professionals can help police professionals develop effective psychological skills.
- Select two psychological skills that are important to police professionals and that are taught by forensic psychology professionals. Consider why these skills are important to police professional effectiveness.
- Think about the impact of forensic psychology professionals on how effective police professionals do their jobs.
The assignment (1–2 pages):
- Briefly describe each psychological skill that you selected, and explain why each is an important skill for the police professional.
- Analyze the impact of the forensic psychology professional on the effectiveness of police professionals. Be specific and provide examples.
- Support your responses with references to the Learning Resources and the research literature.