“Employee Testing” Please respond to the following:
- Evaluate the types of employee testing that companies may require that are discussed in the text. Determine the two tests that you consider the most important. Support your reasoning.
- Go to Human Metric’s Website and take the Jung Typology Test™ (sample of the Myers Briggs personality test). Next, examine your test results. Determine whether you believe this type of personality test is beneficial to an organization. Support your position.
“Employee Selection” Please respond to the following:
- Compare and contrast the structured interview, situational interview, and behavioral interview. Determine which type of interview would be more beneficial when interviewing applicants. Support your selection.
- In the selection of the candidate, determine if the manager should make the final choice or if others should be included in the final decision. Support your position.
“Employee Performance” Please respond to the following:
- Go to SAS’s Website and review the benefits offered by this company by scrolling down to the middle of the web page and clicking the “Benefits” tab. Next, determine whether or not these types of benefits would motivate you as an employee for a long-term commitment. Support your reasoning.
- Determine whether or not these benefits you reviewed could create more of a balance between family and work. Provide at least two examples to support your reasoning.
“Employee Layoffs” Please respond to the following:
- Determine three ways that employee layoffs can affect other employees in the organization. Examine two additional ways that employee layoffs can affect the organization as a whole.
- Imagine that you are a manager of the HR department of a company and you are required to lay off one of your employees. Propose two ways that you can ensure you are abiding by the laws that govern employment and ethical practices. Respond and evaluate another learner’s comment. Ground students will do this through discussion.
“Performance Appraisals” Please respond to the following:
- Determine why organizations can have higher productivity when top managers encourage supervisors to set goals, assess performance, and provide feedback to employees. Support your answer with examples. Then, describe the experience you have had with performance appraisals and how your performance has been influenced by them.
- Go to businessballs’ Website and review the information regarding performance appraisals. Next, rate the importance of measuring performance and providing an opportunity for feedback. Support your position.
“Performance Measurement” Please respond to the following:
- Imagine you are working at an ice cream shop. It is the middle of summer, the shop’s busiest season, and the electricity goes out during a storm. Rank the actions that you should take in order of importance, as your performance will be measured regarding your immediate actions.
- Assess the advantages and / or disadvantages of having more than one source of performance measurement within a company. Support your position with examples. Of the performance measurement sources you provided, select one that you believe your current or previous company could benefit from and explain why.
“Training Assessment” Please respond to the following:
- Imagine you are a new employee in a human resource (HR) department. Your first task is to develop a stress management seminar for the employees. Determine the topics that should be covered in the seminar. Support your selection of the topics.
- Develop criteria to assist in selecting the vendor to use for the training.
“Training Effectiveness” Please respond to the following:
- Go to the Chief Learning Officer’s (CLO) Website and read the article titled “Southwest Airlines: Employee Education Takes Flight”. Next, determine if Southwest’s method of training is an effective way to conduct training. Support your position. Provide one recommendation for improvement.
- Compare the following training methods: presentations, case studies, simulations, and discussions. Determine which training method you believe to be the most effective and explain why.
- Strayer University is moving to a new HR/payroll system that is sponsored by a firm called Workday.com. You have been asked to oversee the stakeholder management aspects of this project. Identify some of the key stakeholders at Strayer and describe how you plan to keep them engaged during your year-long project. Be sure to include the appropriate methods since not all of your stakeholders are located at the HQ office in Herndon, VA.
Planning Your Project
- A potential client wants you to be the project manager for a project that involves moving to a new computerized human resource management system that supports the firm’s staffing, compensation, employee relations, and benefit functions. The client is very vague about what needs to be done, and all that they know is that they do not like the current system. Identify the types of questions that you could ask the client to gain a better understanding of the scope of the project. Other than having the client answer your questions, what other activities could you engage in to gain a better understanding?
- Project Resources
- You have been asked to replace the project manager who was heading up your firm’s new compensation and benefits system. One of the reasons the project manager is being replaced is because the project schedule had the wrong resources assigned (e.g., resources who do not fully understand compensation and benefits). You have been asked to solve this problem quickly by either replacing the resources or getting the resources up-to-speed on compensation and benefits. Present your recommendation for solving this critical resource problem by reviewing the pros and cons of each option.
Budgeting Time and Valuing Risk Management
- You have been assigned to analyze the project plan of a payroll system that is behind schedule and over budget. The project was supposed to be completed in one (1) year, but now, it is running about three (3) months behind schedule and 25% over budget. It is expected that the project may continue to fall further behind schedule and over budget. Your superior wants to know if the project can be saved. Recommend a series of actions to save the project and identify the risks in taking such an approach.
“Moral Philosophies and Cognitive Moral Development” Please respond to the following:
- Select one (1) moral philosophy (teleology, deontology, relativist perspective, virtue ethics, or justice) that has influenced the outcome of an ethical dilemma that you have witnessed. Provide one (1) example of the way in which this moral philosophy influenced the outcome of an ethical dilemma in a past or present organization. Note: Please do not identify workplaces or leaders by name.
- Examine Kohlberg’s stages of moral development. Determine the stage of Kohlberg’s moral development that your current, or past, organization and coworkers are in. Provide one (1) example of your current, or past, organization and coworkers that illustrates the stage of Kohlberg’s moral development. Note: Please do not identify workplaces or leaders by name.
“Organizational Culture and Ethical Decision Making” Please respond to the following:
- Examine the major influences that organizational culture can have on organizational ethical decision making. From your personal experience in your current or past organization, provide one (1) example of how organizational culture influenced the outcome of an ethical decision. Note: Please do not identify workplaces or leaders by name.
- Use the Internet to research a business leader that you believe to be an ethical leader. Next, examine the key traits and actions that the selected leader demonstrates in order to influence a positive ethical culture in the organization. Suggest two (2) actions that a company could take in order to achieve a positive ethical culture.
“Developing and Implementing an Organizational Ethics Program” Please respond to the following:
- Watch the video titled, “Compliance Based Rules Mentality vs. Values Based Ethical Culture” (also found below). Next, differentiate between a values-based ethics program and a compliance-based ethics program. Recommend either a values-based ethics program or a compliance-based ethics program for your current or a former organization. Provide a rationale for your response. Note: Please do not identify workplaces or leaders by name.
- Review Table 8-4 “Developing and Implementing a Code of Ethics” (Chapter 8). Outline a plan for implementing a training and development program in your current, or former, organization. Determine which training methodology (i.e., live training, online, reading, etc.) you would use to deliver the training. Provide a rationale for your response. Note: Please do not identify workplaces or leaders by name.
“Auditing of Organizational Ethics and Compliance Programs” Please respond to the following:
- Examine the significant values of conducting an ethics audit in an organization. Select five (5) areas that you would focus on if you must conduct an ethics audit and provide a rationale for your selections. What ideas might you have for implementing a checklist to be used as the organization’s ethics audit? Be specific.
“Traditional Versus Contemporary Training and Using Different Methods” Please respond to the following:
- Justify why classroom training is still popular despite the introduction of electronic technology and include one (1) exceptional learning experience you had while in a classroom. Discuss if the same experience would have translated in the same way online.
- Discuss one (1) experience you have had from a trainer or trainee viewpoint. Offer two (2) tips to your classmates about what you learned from the experience.
“Evaluating Training and Measuring Return on Investment for Training” Please respond to the following:
- Describe the types of ethical issues that could arise during training evaluation processes and identify actions that can be taken to address and overcome these ethical issues.
- Visit the ROI Institute Website, located at http://www.roiinstitute.net. Next, discuss briefly what is meant by “Level 5” training evaluation. Identify the process proposed by Jack Phillips for determining return on investment (ROI). Identify the various type of costs to be considered when measuring ROI for training activities.
Employee Orientation and Technical Training Challenges” Please respond to the following:
- Thinking back through orientation programs you have attended, identify one (1) of the problems you have experienced such as too much information too soon, not knowing your way around the organization, or other possibilities. Suggest a solution for avoiding this type of problem in future orientation programs.
- Discuss three (3) challenges faced by employers today to ensure their employee populations have the required skills and competencies.
“Performance Coaching and Employee Wellness Programs” Please respond to the following:
- View the video below titled “Coaching Employees: 5 Coaching Power Words” (4 min 23 s).
- One of the messages from the video indicates that coaching is not an intuitive process. To be effective, coaching must be learned. Comment on this perspective and justify your position.
- Think ahead ten (10) years from now and envision changes that will be made to wellness programs. Comment on one (1) or two (2) of the changes that you think might take place.