Within the Discussion Board area, write 350–500 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
Situational leadership defines effectiveness when the leader can determine the level of development needed of the subordinates in a situation and then apply the appropriate leadership style to fill the gap. This unit will discuss the impact or influence demographics have on the 4 leadership style preferences. Discuss the following:
- Do you think that age influences the preference for a type leadership style? Which of the four leadership styles (delegating, supporting, coaching, directing) do you think Generation Z, Generation Y (Millennials), Generation X, Baby Boomers, and Traditionalists would prefer? Justify your answer with the literature.
- Do you think that gender influences the preference for a particular leadership style? Which of the four leadership styles do you think males and females prefer?
- Are demographics such as age and gender reflected in situational leadership approaches? Justify your answer.
In addition to addressing all requirements of the assignments, model answer includes the following:
- Discuss age preferences in terms of:
- Structure vs. less structure
- Autonomy in their work
- The ages for the generations are: Generation Z (born after 1997); Generation Y/Millennial (born between 1977–1997); Generation X (born between 1965–1976); Baby Boomers (born between 1946–1964); Traditionalist (born before 1945).
- You may find in research that males prefer more directive and females prefer more supportive leadership styles.
- Demographics are not reflected in situational leadership theory. This is one of the criticisms of the theory. The theory assumes that the preference is based on skills and motivation.
- Properly cite the required reading materials.
- Kingl, Adam. (2020).Next generation leadership: how to ensure young talent will thrive with your organization. [Skillsoft version] Available from <https://login.proxy.cecybrary.com/sso/skillport?