P’kolino Case Study
Read the P’kolino case study, pages 261-304 in the your text. It is an example of an extremely well written business plan, in the traditional style of the late second millennium. (Note: the financial exhibits are not missing, but are in a follow-on case for a module later in the class). P’kolino is a children’s furniture company, launched in 2005. The company is still very much in business and the website can be visited at http://www.pkolino.com/
Write a paper that answers to the following questions:
- Does the business plan tell a coherent and compelling story?
- Does the plan capture all of the learning that Antonio and JB have accumulated?
- What three questions do you think Antonio and JB need to answer through further planning before they launch the venture?
- What are the three strongest aspects of the plan?
- What areas need improvement?
The five specific questions should be annotated and have specific answers.
Use in-text citations for quotes, indirect quotes, and direct references. Also cite definitive statements of fact or opinion. This will validate them for the reader—so they’re not just like spouting off as in a Facebook posting. Nothing will turn off a prospective investor more than unsupported, absolute statements. More detailed information on proper structure for in-text citations can be found at the following link: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/02/
All papers should be written in the third person (he, he, it, and they). Make every effort not to shift to second person (you, your) as in, “When starting a company you need money.” Try to avoid shifting to the first person (I, we) as well. It is distracting to the reader and bad style to shift persons in a paper—students often do it in the middle of a sentence.
The requirements below must be met for your paper to be accepted and graded:
- Write between 750 – 1,250 words (approximately 3 – 5 pages) using Microsoft Word in APA style, see example below.
- Use font size 12 and 1” margins.
- Include cover page and reference page.
- At least 80% of your paper must be original content/writing.
- No more than 20% of your content/information may come from references.
- Use at least three references from outside the course material, one reference must be from EBSCOhost. Text book, lectures, and other materials in the course may be used, but are not counted toward the three reference requirement.
- Cite all reference material (data, dates, graphs, quotes, paraphrased words, values, etc.) in the paper and list on a reference page in APA style.
References must come from sources such as, scholarly journals found in EBSCOhost, CNN, online newspapers such as, The Wall Street Journal, government websites, etc. Sources such as, Wikis, Yahoo Answers, eHow, blogs, etc. are not acceptable for academic writing.