Employee Turnover and Future Staffing Needs
A high employee turnover in any industry can be a concern, more so in those that are customer centered. Industries that deal with people’s health are in an even more precarious position. Healthcare organizations with high attrition must consider how a “revolving door” of care providers affects the quality of care the organization is able to provide and the satisfaction of patients with their overall experience. HR professionals are responsible for staffing positions, training employees, providing benefits, and handling any problems or disciplinary actions. The day-to-day responsibilities of managing the workforce can leave little time for long-range planning.
Post to the Discussion Area your responses to the following:
- How does a high employee turnover rate impact the operations in a healthcare organization?
Give examples of one clinical and one nonclinical position in your answer. For example, what is the effect of a high turnover among lab technicians and among billing staff?
- What data may be gathered and analyzed to assess the reasons for employee turnover?
What additional data might HRM gather?
- What would you use for forecasting metrics for current and future staffing needs?
Give an example of a particular healthcare setting (e.g., urban or rural, large or small hospital, or primary or tertiary care).
- What best practices would you recommend for reducing healthcare employee turnover? Explain at least three such best practices and their positive affect on a healthcare organization.
- Among clinical staff, would you target any particular age group for retention efforts? For example, would you make greater effort to retain younger staff for the organization’s long-term staffing needs or would you rather retain more experienced employees to improve the quality of care?
Provide reasons and evidence in support of your responses.
From the Internet, read the following:
Boyd, N., & Gessner, B. (2013). Human resource performance metrics: Methods and processes that demonstrate you care. Cross Cultural Management, 20(2), 251–273. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/13527601311313508
To support your work, use your course and textbook readings and also use the South University Online Library. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Your initial posting should be addressed at 300-500 words. Submit your document to this Discussion Area by the due date assigned. Be sure to cite your sources using APA format.
Respond to your peers throughout the week. Justify your answers with examples, research, and reasoning. Follow up posts need to be submitted by the end of the week.
Use the following rubric as a guide to complete your discussion responses.